Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Molly Ringwalds and Lauren's Three-Oh!

So after recovering from our near death beach lightning experience on Saturday, we rested up for the second highlight of this trip. Me, Matt, Scott and Ryan took a trip across state lines into Mobile, Alabama to a place called "Soul Kitchen" to see what I was told was the best 80's cover band ever. And after seeing them I've gotta agree. It wasn't like going to see some cover band at a bar. This was a concert. They played for about 2 and a half hours with an encore. It was also Lauren's 30th birthday on Sunday, so the concert was the beginning of her celebration. We met up with her and a lot of her family - dad, sister, brother, sister in-law, etc...and some other of her friends. As Lauren's brother - Fielder - described em before the concert, they play some songs from the 80's that you probably wouldn't admit to liking (Wham, George Michael come to mind). But every song they played I knew. I'm kinda wondering if 80's music to my generation is what "oldies" music was to my parents. I hope not, because I never liked my parents music, I wonder how 80's music will hold up over time? The band - The Molly Ringwalds - is a group of guys, I think all from England (how the hell do these guys not have a wikipedia page?) dressed up as different characters from the 80's. The drummer was dressed as the Karate Kid, another guy dressed as an 80's chick with big poofy hair(kinda creepy), another guy was dressed as George Michael and another one looked like a friend of mine, Josh Reiter, but I may be the only one who thought that. Oh, and another guy wore a red "flower pot" hat like the guy from the band Devo. He was the only guy we could complain about, as Matt noticed, we're pretty sure he was lip syncing (lip singing?) when he was the lead singer for a couple of songs. Oh, one other complaint...no Def Leppard!!!!! But they did play over two hours of awesome 80's music.

I wasn't expecting that much, and i broke my rule of not wearing flip-flops to concerts. My feet were disgusting by the time this thing was over. On the way back we stopped at a truck-stop gas station place that for whatever reason had $15 legit NFL jerseys. I almost bought Brian a Larry Johnson Chiefs jersey but it was friggin HUGE. Sorry man, gain about 200lbs and I'll be more than happy to go back and get it for ya!!!! We got back to Scott's place at about 4am...just in time to wake up at about 7 for Sunday's rescheduled Air Show! Which I'll save for my next blog...

Me, Matt, Ryan, Scott driving to Mobile for the show

Matt's camera is better than mine...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just happened across this page while looking for Molly Ringwalds concert dates. The Molly Ringwalds are NOT a group of guys from England. They pretend that they are, speak with the accents and everything. They are from New Orleans. The lead singer is from Chalmette, my hometown, right outside of New Orleans. And the big poofy hair is supposed to be resemble the 80's group, Twisted Sister.

AU-girl. said...

Just saw them last night for the umpteenth time. They always put on a good show. Thanks for correcting the "Chic with the big hair" I lol'd at that. This must've been written by someone too young to know anything about 80's music. Def Leopard? 😂😂😂😉