Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Long Awaited Return of the Double Feature

I view movie theatres the same way I view amusement parks. You pay to get in, then you can ride as many rides as you possibly can until they park closes. Well, with skyrocketing movie prices ($9 for a student ticket!!!! LAME!!!!) something has to be done, so I do my part.

This started back on Labor Day in 1996. My old roommate Tony Rojas (if you're out there somewhere...say hi!!!!) and I went to a Tallahassee movie theatre for an unprecedented attempted triple feature. It seemed like a good idea at the time. But good lord did we pick some TERRIBLE movies to go see. For some reason I even remember all 3 of em. First was "The Crow: City of Angels" (The shitty sequel, not the original), then we saw "The Fan" (Robert DeNiro and Wesley Snipes...who knew they could be THAT bad?), then to finish things off we saw the completely awful "The Island of Dr. Moreau". I had THE WORST headache during the third movie. But we pulled it off.

More recently, 2 years ago, me, Matt and Lauren went for another triple feature. Courtney also joined us for just the first portion of the event. This time we actually saw 2 good movies. Courtney and Lauren made us include a chick flick - The Break-Up. It had Vince Vaughn...but it still sucked. We then saw Mission Impossible III...which was a lot better than I was expecting. And then X-Men III. Also better than I was expecting.

So those are my only two triple-features. My most recent double feature was way back in 2006! Me and Lauren saw "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" which would've been better in 15 minute increments...then "Stranger than Fiction" which has Will Ferrell playing a more serious, yet still funny role. It was actually REALLY good, and I wound up buying the DVD recently.


A later double feature attempt was foiled by Lauren last year when we went to go see "Knocked Up". Unfortunately right when the movie started she was beginning a fight with her then boyfriend, who I named, Re-Todd (but pronounced...well, just say it out loud, you'll get it). So after she was crying through all of Knocked Up...in a bad way...I agreed to bail. I don't even remember what we were gonna see next, it might've been Superbad, don't remember. But I do remember Lauren saying she'd owe me one. I just realized she still hasn't come through, so that's why I'm including this part of the story :)

Anyways, last night the double feature returned. And it was a successful one. First up was "Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay". It was actually funnier than I was expecting. An older couple (mid-40's maybe...the guy looked like Richard Simmons) sat down just before the movie started. I said that they'd be gone within a half hour...and they didn't disappoint. They walked out within a half hour! Not exactly a movie for "adults". Luckily I don't fall into that category, so I thought it was funny. After that was "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". This actually wasn't as funny as I was hoping, a little too romantic comedy-ish for me. But it was still funny. A little too much of Jason Segel's crotchal area ("Marshall" from How I Met Your Mother). Now that I think about it, I don't think there were any boobs shown in the movie. Just his junk. I was warned ahead of time so I missed most of it :)

No comments: